Science is a collaborative effort. No one works alone. The highest praise a mentor can give to a student is to include them as an author on a scientific paper. From 1998 to 2022, 31 Midwood Science students have seen the work they did while still in high school published in peer-reviewed journals. Three had their names appear first in the list of authors, which means they were recognized as contributing more than anyone else.
All efforts have been made to ensure this record is exhaustively complete. If I have missed anything, please let me know.
Daelah is the first author of this paper, a position that is rare for high school students.
- Daelah Nicholas
- Infant temperament: Exploring the potential role of maternal dietary choline and folate consumption during pregnancy in a Michigan pregnancy cohort with Chia-Lun Yang, Nicole Talge, and principal investigator Jean Kerver at Michigan State University in Current Developments in Nutrition. Vol. 6, No. S1 (2022): 697. Daelah also presented this project at the American Society for Nutrition's virtual conference, Nutrition 2022, on the day this volume of the journal was released.
- Jasmine Huang
- Another look at the extinction of conditioned flavor preferences: Amount of training and tests for spontaneous recovery with Norman Tu and principal investigator Andrew R. Delamater at Brooklyn College in Learning & Behavior. Vol. 49, No. 4 (2021): 405–421.
Nomon graduated in 2017, Jennifer in 2018, Toby in 2019.
- Nomon Mohammad
- Aluminum ions speciation and transport in acidic deep eutectic AlCl3 amide electrolytes with Domenec Paterno, Emma Rock, Andrew Forbes, Rija Iqbala, and principal investigator Sophia Suarez at Brooklyn College in the Journal of Molecular Liquids. Vol. 319 (2020): 114118.
- Jennifer Duong
- Solvent-assisted nanochannel encapsulation of a natural phase change material in polystyrene hollow fibers for high-performance thermal energy storage with Rawan Ghaban, Dev Patel, Harmann Singh, Wenshuai Chen, and principal investigator Ping Lu at Long Island University in ACS Applied Energy Materials. Vol. 3, No. 10 (2020): 10089–10096.
- Rui Ting (Toby) Li
- A double-blind test of blue-blocking filters on symptoms of digital eye strain with Nancy Kirsch and principal investigator Mark Rosenfield at the SUNY College of Optometry in Work. Vol. 65, No. 2 (2020): 343–348.
- Beien Lin and Kathy Mania
- Soil and microbial properties of green infrastructure Technosols in stormwater management systems with Maha Deeb, Peter M Groffman, Jessica L Joyner, George Lozefski, Anna Paltseva, Donna L Cao, John McLaughlin, Theodore Muth, Bharath Prithiviraj, Jordan Kerwin, and principal investigator Zhongqi (Joshua) Cheng at Brooklyn College in Ecological Engineering. Vol. 125 (2018): 68–75.
Kiara and Shadika graduated in 2014. Kahei graduated from Midwood in 2008 and was working with Dr. Rosenfield as student of SUNY Optometry when this experiment was conducted.
- Kiara Nuñez, Shadika Jahan, and Kahei Chan
- Cognitive demand, digital screens and blink rate with principal investigator Mark Rosenfield at the SUNY College of Optometry in Computers in Human Behavior. Vol. 51, No. A (2015): 403–406.
Gabby is the first author of this paper, a position that is rare for high school students.
- Gabrielle Lynch
- Attrition rates in neurosurgery residency: analysis of 1361 consecutive residents matched from 1990 to 1999 with Karina Nieto, Saumya Puthenveettil, Marleen Reyes, Michael Jureller, Jason H. Huang, M. Sean Grady, Odette A. Harris, Aruna Ganju, Isabelle M. Germano, Julie G. Pilitsis, Susan C. Pannullo, Deborah L. Benzil, Aviva Abosch, Sarah J. Fouke, and principal investigator Uzma Samadani at the New York University School of Medicine in the Journal of Neurosurgery. Vol. 122, No. 2 (2014): 237–481.
Francisca and Mercy graduated in 2011, Leo in 2013.
- Francisca Onyiuke and Mercy Palomeque
- Determination of heart rate variability with an electronic stethoscope with Haroon Kamran, Isaac Naggar, Priya Chokshi, Louis Salciccioli, Mark Stewart and principal investigator Jason M. Lazar at the SUNY Downstate Medical Center in Clinical Autonomic Research. Vol. 23, No. 1 (2013): 41–47.
- Jian Cong (Leo) Liao
- Mosquitofish (Gambusia affinis) Preference and Behavioral Response to Animated Images of Conspecifics Altered in Their Color, Aspect Ratio, and Swimming Depth with Giovanni Polverino and Maurizio Porfiri at the Polytechnic Institute of New York University in PLOS ONE Vol. 8, No. 1 (2013): e54315.
- Nicole Ng and Zhao Na Wang
- On the inverse temperature transition and development of an entropic elastomeric force of the elastin mimetic peptide [LGGVG]3,7 with Jiaxin Huang, Cheng Sun, Odingo Mitchell, and principal investigator Gregory S. Boutis of Brooklyn College in the Journal of Chemical Physics. Vol. 136, No. 8 (2012): 085101–09.
- Kirill Grinberg
- Multimode selective detection of mercury by chiroptical fluorescent sensors based on methionine/cysteine with Patrick Carney, Steven Lopez, Amanda Mickley, Wenyao Zhang, and principal investigator Zhaohua Dai of Pace University in Chirality. Vol. 23, No. 10 (2011): 916–920.
Two students who graduated in 2009 coauthored academic works.
- Regina Gurevich
- Computer Vision Syndrome: Accommodative and Vergence Facility with Elizabeth Wickware, Marc Lay, and principal investigator Mark Rosenfield of the SUNY College of Optometry in the Journal of Behavioral Optometry. Vol. 21, No. 5 (2010): 119–122.
- John Ferrara
- The role of procalcitonin in the diagnosis of sepsis and patient assignment to medical intensive care with Arun Devakonda, Ester Engelman, Gitta Pancer, James Rucinski, Suhail Raoof, Liziamma George, Lawrence Melniker, and principal investigator Larry Bernstein in the Journal of Clinical Ligand Assay. Vol. 30, No. 3–4 (Fall–Winter 2007): 98–104. For his contribution to this paper, John received a Distinguished Abstract Award from the National Academy of Clinical Chemistry and was a presenter at the 2008 Annual Meeting of the American Association for Clinical Chemistry.
- Na Xue
- Rationally Designed Anti-HIV Peptides Containing Multifunctional Domains as Molecule Probes for Studying the Mechanisms of Action of the First and Second Generation HIV Fusion Inhibitors with Zhi Qi, Weiguo Shi, Chungen Pan, Weiguo Jing, Keliang Li, and principal investigator Shibo Jiang. Published in the Journal of Biological Chemistry. Vol. 283, No. 44 (2008): 30376–30384.
- Novel anti-HIV peptides containing multiple copies of artificially designed heptad repeat motif with Weiguo Shi, Zhi Qi, Chungen Pan, Asim K. Debnath, Jiankun Qie, Keliang Liu, and principal investigator Shibo Jiang. Published in Biochemical and biophysical research communications. Vol. 364, No. 4 (2008): 767–722.
Three students who graduated in 2007 coauthored academic works.
- Farhana Hoque
- C-Reactive Protein for the Enhanced Evaluation of the Systemic Inflammatory Response Syndrome (SIRS) with Gitta Pancer, Ester Engelman, Mohammed Alam, James Rucinski, and Larry Bernstein. Published in The Open Clinical Chemistry Journal. Vol. 2011, No. 4 (2011): 1–9.
- Arif Hussain
- Crystal Structure of the Putative Dephospho-CoA Kinase from Aquifex aeolicus, Northeast Structural Genomics Target QR72 with F. Forouhar, M. Hussain, J. Seetharaman, M. Wu, Y. Fang, K. Cunningham, L.C. Ma, R. Xiao, J. Liu, M. Baran, B. Rost, T.B. Acton, G.T. Montelione, J.F. Hunt, and L. Tong of Columbia University. Published in the Research Collaboratory for Structural Bioinformatics Protein Data Bank (RCSB-PDB), 3 October 2006.
- Molecular insights into substrate recognition and catalysis by tryptophan 2,3-dioxygenase with Farhad Forouhar, J. L. Ross Anderson, Christopher G. Mowat, Sergey M. Vorobiev, Mariam Abashidze, Chiara Bruckmann, Sarah J. Thackray, Jayaraman Seetharaman, Todd Tucker, Rong Xiao, Li-Chung Ma, Li Zhao, Thomas B. Acton, Gaetano T. Montelione, Stephen K. Chapman, and Liang Tong. Published in the Proceeding of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS). Vol. 104, No. 2 (9 January 2007): 473-478.
- Wingyin Lo
- Modulation of larval nutrition affects midgut neutral lipid storage and temporal pattern of transcription factor expression during mosquito metamorphosis with James T. Nishiura, Cynthia Burgosa, Samuel Ayaa, and Yekaterina Goryachevaa of Brooklyn College. Published in the Journal of Insect Physiology. Vol. 53, No. 1 (January 2007): 47-58.
Four students who graduated in 2005 coauthored academic works.
- Munif Hussain
- Crystal Structure of the Putative Peptidyl-arginine Deiminase from Chlorobium tepidum, NESG Target CtR21 with A.R. Befeler, S.M. Vorobiev, M. Ciano, T.B. Acton, G.T. Montelione, J.F. Hunt, L. Tong and Farhad Forouhar of Columbia University. Published in the Research Collaboratory for Structural Bioinformatics Protein Data Bank (RCSB-PDB), 16 November 2004.
- Crystal Structure of Human 3-Hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl-CoA Lyase: Insights into Catalysis and the Molecular Basis for Hydroxymethylglutaric Aciduria with Zhuji Fu, Jennifer A. Runquist, Munif Hussain, John F. Hunt, Henry M. Miziorko, Jung-Ja P. Kim, and Farhad Forouhar. Published in the Journal of Biological Chemistry. Vol. 281, No. 11 (2006): 7526–7532.
- Crystal Structures of Two Bacterial 3-Hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl-CoA Lyases Suggest a Common Catalytic Mechanism among a Family of TIM Barrel Metalloenzymes Cleaving Carbon-Carbon Bonds with Ramy Farid, Jordi Benach, Mariam Abashidze, William C. Edstrom, Sergey M. Vorobiev, Rong Xiao, Thomas B. Acton, Zhuji Fu∥, Jung-Ja P. Kim∥, Henry M. Miziorko, Gaetano T. Montelione, John F. Hunt, and Farhad Forouhar. Published in the Journal of Biological Chemistry. Vol. 281, No. 11 (2006): 7533–7545.
- Molecular Insights into the Biosynthesis of the F420 Coenzyme with Mariam Abashidze, Huimin Xu, Laura L. Grochowski, Jayaraman Seetharaman, Alexandre Kuzin, Yang Chen, Weihong Zhou, Rong Xiao, Thomas B. Acton, Gaetano T. Montelione, Anne Galinier, Robert H. White, Liang Tong, and Farhad Forouhar. Published in the Journal of Biological Chemistry. Vol. 283, No. 17 (2008): 11832–11840.
- Olga Pikovskaya
- Structural Basis for Discriminative Regulation of Gene Expression by Adenine-and Guanine-Sensing mRNAs with Alexander Serganov, Yu-Ren Yuan, Anna Polonskaia, Lucy Malinina, Anh Tuân Phan, Claudia Hobartner, Ronald Micura, Ronald R. Breaker, and Dinshaw Patel. Published in Cell Chemical Biology. Vol. 11, No. 12 (2004): 1729–1741.
- Jerard Kneifati-Hayek
- A model for automated screening of thalassemia in hematology (math study) with William Fleischman, Anthony Riccioli, Rita Bellevue, and Larry Bernstein. Published in Laboratory Hematology. Vol. 13, No. 4 (2007): 119–123.
- Madeleine Schleffer
- A simplified nutrition screen for hospitalized patients using readily available laboratory and patient information with Linda Brugler R.D., Ana K. Stankovic, and Larry Bernstein. Published in Nutrition. Vol. 21, No. 6 (2005): 650–658.
- Madeleine Schleffer and Jerard Kneifati-Hayek
- Enhancing the diagnostic performance of troponins in the acute care setting with Salman A. Haq, Morteza Tavakol, Steven Silber, Larry Bernstein, Lesan T. Banko, John F. Heitner, Terrence J. Sacchi, and Joseph A. Puma. Published in the Journal of Emergency Medicine. Vol. 40, No. 4 (2011): 367–373.
- The ACC/ESC Recommendation for 99th Percentile of the Reference Normal Troponin I Overestimates the Risk of an Acute Myocardial Infarction: A Novel Enhancement in the Diagnostic Performance of Troponin I with Salman A Haq, Steven H Silber, Lesan Banko, Salman Shah, Terrence J Sacchi, Joseph A Puma, and Larry Bernstein. Published in Circulation. Vol 111, No. 20 (2005): e313.
Jacquline graduated in 2001 and Jessica graduated in 1999.
- Jacquline Ling and Jessica Cepriano
- Endocrine disruption caused by two common pollutants at "acceptable" concentrations with Lucia Magliuloa and principal investigator Martin P. Schreibman at Brooklyn College in Neurotoxicology and Teratology. Vol. 24, No. 1 (2002): 71–79.
- Imran Arif
- Instrumentation and Calibration Protocol for Imaging Dynamic Features in Dense-Scattering Media by Optical Tomography with Christoph H. Schmitz, Harry l. Graber, Hengbin Luo, Jai Hira, Yaling Pei, Avraham Bluestone, Sheng Zhong, Randy Andronica, Ira Soller, Nestor Ramirez, San-Lian S. Barbour, and principal investigator Randall L. Barbour at SUNY Downstate Medical Center in Applied Optics. Vol. 39, No. 34 (2000): 6466–6486.
- Hui Kun Hao
- Learning and memory in the FMR1 knockout mouse with Cathy Bakker, Ben A. Oostra, and principal investigator Gene S. Fisch at Yale University in the American Journal of Medical Genetics. Vol. 84, No. 3 (1999): 277–282.
- George Sclavos
- Solution structures of the 9-ketone and 9,12-hemiacetal forms of erythromycin A in 90% H2O as determined by NMR and molecular modelling with Abdesslem Khiat, Yvan Boulanger, and principal investigator Fernando Commodari at Long Island University in the Journal of the Chemical Society, Perkin Transactions 2. Vol. 1998, No. 9 (1998): 1947–1956.