Academic, Cultural, Technological and Scientific Olympics (ACT-SO)
Saturday, April 14, 2018 (registration)
Saturday, April 21, 2018(poster session)
|Sciences||Visual Arts||Performing Arts||Humanities|
|Biology & Microbiology||Architecture||Dance||Music Composition|
|Chemistry & Biochemistry||Drawing||Dramatics||Original Essay|
|Computer Science||Film-making||Music, Instrumental, Classical||Playwriting|
|Earth & Space Science||Painting||Music, Instrumental, Contemporary||Poetry|
|Engineering||Photography||Music, Vocal, Classical||Short Story|
|Mathematics||Sculpture||Music, Vocal, Contemporary|
|Medicine & Health||Oratory||Business|
- All seniors should seriously consider participating in this event in a science category and may also participate in another category. There are 27 total categories including 8 in the sciences. Students may compete in up to 3 categories. A few students should also serve as recruiters.
- The Academic, Cultural, Technological and Scientific Olympics (ACT-SO) is a non-profit program sponsored by the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP). This program has two major components — regularly scheduled enrichment workshops and the "Olympics of the Mind".
- The science competition consists of a research report and poster session (and paperwork of course). Submit 1 notarized, original of your paper and 1 copy at the registration meeting. At the poster session, participants are expected to describe their project in 5 minutes or less.
- Students competing in a science category are only required to attend 1 workshop before the competition. Those competing in other categories need to attend at least 3 workshops. Workshops are held on Saturday mornings in January, February, and March at the NYC ACT-SO Office, 270 West 96 St, between Broadway & West End Ave in Manhattan. (Click here for the workshop schedule.) Final project evaluation and registration will also be held at this location on Saturday, April 14, 2018.
- The Olympics of the Mind will be held on Saturday, April 21, 2018at Edward R. Murrow High School.
- The awards ceremony will be held on Tuesday, May 1, 2018 [estimated] at St. Francis College, 180 Remsen St in Brooklyn.
- Gold medal winners move on to the National ACT-SO at the NAACP National Convention July 12–15, 2018in San Antonio, Texas.