Siemens Competition in Math, Science & Technology
Tuesday, September 30, 2014 (research paper)
- Students are encouraged to enter this competition for extra credit.
- Register using the Discovery Education website as soon as possible. The competition application is done entirely online.
- Read and follow the guidelines set by the Siemens Foundation.
- "Paperwork" is required of all students participating as well as the students' parents, a representative form Midwood (not quite sure if they want a teacher or administrator), and a qualified scientist or other mentor. Projects involving vertebrate animals require additional paperwork from the student and mentor.
- This competition is centered around a research paper of 18 pages or fewer (not including abstract and references) and an executive summary (a.k.a. layperson's summary). Absolutely no student names or references to gender ("he" or "she"), high schools, school officials, advisors, mentors, affiliated research organizations, acknowledgments, or any other identifying information of the entrants are to appear anywhere in the research paper.
- Have your final application submission witnessed by your supervising teacher on or before Tuesday, September 30, 2014.
- Up to 300 projects are selected as semi-finalists. Up to thirty individual students and thirty teams (of 2 or 3 students) are chosen to compete at one of six regional competitions in November (MIT, Carnegie Mellon, Georgia Tech, Notre Dame, UT Austin, Cal Tech). Students' names will be posted on the Siemens Foundation website Thursday, October 16, 2014.
- Winners of the regional competitions go on to the national competition in December at George Washington University.
|teachers ||office ||em ||ail ||extension |
|Mr. Elert (Coordinator) ||A214 ||elert@ ||midwoodscience.org ||2141 |
|Ms. Mosley ||A317 ||mosley.chem@ ||gmail.com ||3172 or 3173 |
|Ms. Roehrich ||A317 ||midwoodes@ ||gmail.com ||3172 or 3173 |
|Ms. Ross ||A214 ||jross17@ ||schools.nyc.gov ||2141 |
|Ms. Sullivan ||A214 ||jsullivanbio@ ||gmail.com ||2141 |
|administrators ||office ||em ||ail ||extension |
|Mr. McDonnell (Principal) ||127 ||mmcdonn2@ ||schools.nyc.gov ||1270 or 8511 |
|Mr. Rosenfeld (AP Biology) ||A200 ||trosenf@ ||schools.nyc.gov ||2003 |