Siemens Competition in Math, Science & Technology
Monday, September 18, 2017 (research paper)
- Eligible students are encouraged to enter this competition for extra credit. Research Reports may be submitted on projects in the fields of mathematics, engineering, biological, and physical sciences. Social and behavioral science research projects are not eligible.
- Register using the Discovery Education website as soon as possible. The competition application is done entirely online. None of the "paperwork" uses actual paper.
- Read and follow the guidelines set by the Siemens Foundation.
- Paperwork is required of all students participating as well as the students' parents, the principal, and a qualified scientist or other mentor. Thankfully, these requirements are easy to complete. Projects involving vertebrate animals require additional paperwork from the student and mentor.
- This competition is centered around a research paper of 18 pages or fewer (not including abstract and references) and an executive summary (a.k.a. layperson's summary). Absolutely no student names or references to gender ("he" or "she"), high schools, school officials, advisors, mentors, affiliated research organizations, acknowledgments, or any other identifying information of the entrants are to appear anywhere in the research paper.
- Have your final application submission witnessed by your supervising teacher on or before
Monday, September 18, 2017.
Tuesday, September 19, 2017 is also allowed, but not preferred.
- Up to 300 projects are selected as semifinalists. Up to 30 individual students and 30 teams (of 2 or 3 students) are chosen to compete at one of 6 regional competitions in November (MIT, Carnegie Mellon, Georgia Tech, Notre Dame, UT Austin, Cal Tech). Students' names will be posted on the Siemens Foundation website
Tuesday, October 17, 2017 for semifinalists and
Wednesday, October 18, 2017 for regional finalists.
- Winners of the regional competitions go on to the national competition in December at George Washington University.
|Mr. Elert (Coordinator)
|Mr. McDonnell (Principal)
|Ms. Kornaker (Assistant Principal)
|Mr. Rosenfeld (Assistant Principal)