Five Midwood students were invited to present their research at the 2003 NYC Metro JSHS competition on Tuesday, March 11, 2003 at the New York Academy of Science in Manhattan. These semifinalists were selected from over 340 students who entered the competition.
- Oriana Chan, The Construction of a Green Fluorescent Protein-Fusion Reporter Gene for Constitutive Expression and Selection in Symbiodinium: A New Tool for Coral Bleaching Studies.
- Afroz Hafeez, Neural BC200 RNA As A Diagnostic Probe In Carcinomas.
- Sabrina Khan, Vaccinia Virus VH1 Phosphatase: Interaction with Stat1 and a Search for a Potential Inhibitor.
- Jordan Levine, Analysis of maternal lineage among three geographically varying Jewish populations.
- Anna Vasilyeva, Synthesis of a Part of a Farnesyltransferase Inhibitor for the Treatment of Cancer.